5 benefits of single fixed-time sow insemination
Learn how this new trend offers advantages over traditional artificial insemination that go beyond semen savings.
The new trend of single fixed-time insemination is becoming a more and more popular alternative to the standard practice of multiple inseminations over a a three-day period.
This month's issue of Pig International covers some of the benefits of this new approach, including:
- ovulation inducers - the use of new ovulation inducters with this approach can affect fertility, number of liveborn pigs and farrowing rate
- boar selection - controlled ovulation technologies can be effectively employed in boar selection
- cost and labor - there are considerable economic benefits with the use of single fixed-time insemination, including significant cost savings in the reduction of breeding time
- semen value - there are potential savings in semen value, but finishing values and other factors should also be considered
- nonproductive days - single, fixed-time insemination can contribute to a reduction in nonproductive days
Learn more about the popularity behind this new trend in the current issue of Pig International.