U.S. poultry certified wholesome during August 2011 (ready-to-cook weight) totaled 3.84 billion pounds, up 3% from the amount certified in August 2010, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

The preliminary total live weight of all federally inspected poultry during August 2011 was 5.09 billion pounds, up 2% from 4.97 billion pounds in 2010. Young chickens inspected totaled 4.37 billion pounds, up 2% from August 2010. Mature chickens, at 76.4 million pounds, were up 2%. Turkey inspections totaled 630 million pounds, up 4% from the same time in 2010, while ducks totaled 14.3 million pounds, up 3%.

Advertisement

Young chickens slaughtered during August 2011 averaged 5.77 pounds per bird, up 4% from August 2010. The average live weight of mature chickens was 5.81 pounds per bird, down 2% from 2010 numbers. Turkeys slaughtered during August 2011 averaged 28.5 pounds per bird, up 2% from August 2010. 

For more poultry statistics, please visit www.wattagnet.com/marketdata.html.