U.S. and Canadian inventory of all hogs and pigs for September 2011 was 78.6 million head, up 1% from September 2010 but down slightly from September 2009 numbers, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture's latest report.

The breeding inventory, at 7.11 million head, was up 1% from 2010. Market hog inventory, at 71.5 million head, was up 1% from 2010 numbers. The pig crop, at 36.3 million head, was up 1% from 2010, while sows farrowed totaled 3.60 million head, down 2%.

U.S. inventory of all hogs and pigs on September 1, 2011, was 66.6 million head. This was up 1% from September 1, 2010, but down slightly from September 1, 2009. The breeding inventory, at 5.81 million head, was up 1% from 2010 numbers. Market hog inventory, at 60.8 million head, was up 1% from 2010. The pig crop, at 29.1 million head, was up 1% from 2010 numbers, while sows farrowed totaled 2.90 million head, down 1%.

Canadian inventory of all hogs and pigs on October 1, 2011, was 12.0 million head, up 1% from October 1, 2010, and up slightly from October 1, 2009. The breeding inventory, at 1.31 million head, was up slightly from 2010. Market hog inventory, at 10.7 million head, was up 1% from 2010 numbers. The pig crop, at 7.2 million head, was up 1% from 2010, while sows farrowed totaled 699,000 head, down 2%.