Society aims to improve treatment of farm animals
The World Society for the Protection of Animals gathered nearly 110,000 signatures to present to the United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development, representing the organization's goal to put animal welfare on the conference's agenda.
The society's goal is to lobby five recommendations to the United Nations, national government delegates and the agricultural industry:
- Develop policies for sustainable food supplies
- Manage the unsustainable demand for farm animal products
- Support research and development of humane and sustainable agriculture
- Phase out subsidies and investments in unsustainable, inhumane systems
- Recognize the importance of farm animal welfare to poverty alleviation and sustainable livelihoods