To meet growing consumer demand, address consumers’ concerns, and succeed in a high-cost environment, greater use of technology will have to be made by the poultry industry. Among key factors to emerge from the forum’s discussions were:
- The use of genomics to select for welfare traits;
- Improvements in housing to meet regional differences;
- The use of environmental factors as a basis for selection;
- The use of nutritional products to reduce the negative effects of antinutritional aspects of feed and mycotoxins; and
- Employing incremental and transformational research.