During the calendar year 2008 through March, shell eggs broken totaled 486 million dozen, up 2 percent from the comparable period in 2007. To date, cumulative total edible product from eggs broken in 2008 was 635 million pounds, up 2 percent from 2007. Whole eggs broken during March 2007 were 4 percent below year-ago levels, egg whites were 3 percent below 2007, with egg yolks 4 percent below March 2007.

Advertisement