Fire damages Agri-Star meat and poultry processing plant
Nobody was injured in blaze that was ruled accidental
Fire has damaged part of a the Agri-Star kosher meat and poultry processing plant in Postville, Iowa. Nobody was injured in the processing plant fire, which was ruled accidental.
The Postville Fire Department told reporters the Agri-Star fire was reported shortly before 3 a.m. November 16 in an unattended clothes dryer in the lower-level laundry room of the plant.
Units from five area fire departments responded to the scene. They were able to keep the fire from spreading to the plant's second and third levels, where manufacturing materials like cardboard, plastic foam trays and chemicals are stored. Damage estimates are not yet available.