Advertisement

News and analysis on the global poultry
and animal feed industries.
Poultry Processing & Slaughter / Broilers & Layers
on November 26, 2013

Heavier live chicken, turkey weights reported in October

Total live weight of federally inspected poultry during October increases 2 percent when compared to October 2012

The weights of chickens and turkeys at slaughter increased during October, contributing to an increase in total live weights of all federally inspected poultry. The preliminary total live weight of all federally inspected poultry during October was 5.35 billion pounds, a 2 percent increase from October 2012.

According to the USDA's November 25 Poultry Slaughter report, young chickens slaughtered during October averaged 6.00 pounds per bird, up 1 percent from October 2012. The average live weight of mature chickens was 5.92 pounds per bird, a 2 percent year-over-year increase. Turkeys slaughtered during October 2013 averaged 29.9 pounds per bird, up 3 percent from October 2012.

The preliminary total live weight of all federally inspected poultry during October was 5.35 billion pounds, up 2 percent from 5.25 billion pounds a year ago. Young chickens inspected totaled 4.61 billion pounds, up 4 percent from October 2012. Mature chickens, at 73.3 million pounds, were up 6 percent

from the previous year. Turkey inspections totaled 646 million pounds, down 11 percent from a year ago. Ducks made up the remainder of the poultry live weight totals, reaching 15.1 million pounds, a 6 percent increase from 2013.

Comments powered by Disqus