Fire destroyed a Sparboe Farms maintenance shop and its contents at an egg production facility near Humboldt, Iowa. No other structures, birds or workers were harmed in the January 14 fire.
Badger Fire Chief Glen Westling told The Messenger the fire at Sparboe Farms was discovered by a farm worker who had gotten a piece of equipment out of the shop around 8 a.m. on January 14. Firefighters from four departments responded, and they were able to prevent the Sparboe Farms fire from spreading beyond the one building despite heavy winds.
It appears the egg farm fire was started by a heater malfunction. Operations at the Sparboe Farms facility were back to normal later that day.