As the United States poultry industry prepares for the possible return of avian influenza in the coming months, and other nations experience new cases of the virus, avian influenza remains a top concern among those in the global poultry industry.
Here are 8 news developments concerning avian influenza you should know:
1. APHIS releases avian influenza preparedness and response plan – The USDA’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) has issued a report on planning and preparations for highly pathogenic avian influenza in advance of a potential recurrence of the disease when birds migrate south this fall.
2. Ventilation shutdown approved – The USDA has approved ventilation shutdown as an emergency depopulation method that can be used in special instances when a poultry flock is infected with avian influenza.
3. Conditional license given to avian influenza vaccine – Harrisvaccines’ avian influenza vaccine, RNA, became the first avian flu vaccine to be granted a conditional license from the USDA.
4. Avian flu found to put pigs at risk – A study conducted by the Pirbright Institute in the U.K. and CReSA in Spain reveals that two different strains of the H3N8 avian influenza virus can replicate and infect pigs.
5. Testing of wild birds in U.S. yields no new avian flu cases – The USDA is conducting avian influenza surveillance in wild birds in 43 states. One agency leader says none of the estimated 6,000 tests conducted so far have been positive.
6. Avian influenza emerges again in South Korea – After a three-month absence, three new cases highly pathogenic avian influenza have been confirmed in South Korea. The three cases appear to be unrelated
7. U.K. producers support idea of avian flu insurance – A survey conducted by the U.K.’s National Farmers’ Union found that poultry farmers would welcome an avian influenza insurance scheme.
8. Auburn scientists researching avian influenza – With funding from a grant from the Egg Industry Center, Auburn University’s Joe Giambrone and Ken Macklin are investigating how highly pathogenic avian influenza spreads to poultry farms.
Bird flu insurance favored by poultry producers in UK
Home » Bird flu insurance favored by poultry producers in UK Bird flu insurance favored by poultry producers in UK Written September 25, 2015 Broilers & Layers Avian Influenza Hens Turkey Production Europe Industry News & Trends Survey finds support for insurance, less for levies to cover avian ...
Researchers explore how Avian Influenza virus enters poultry farms
Home » Researchers explore how Avian Influenza virus enters poultry farms Researchers explore how Avian Influenza virus enters poultry farms Written September 24, 2015 Industry News & Trends Auburn poultry scientists' investigations could aid in control of bird flu virus and prevention ...