The animal agriculture industry saw eight merger and acquistion stories emerge in September:
- Norbest completed a transaction with new equity partners. J.D. Heiskell Holdings LLC and AMERRA Capital Management LLC each acquired minority interests in Norbest.
- BlueWave Marine Ingredients sold the majority stake of its shares. 3D Corporate Solutions L.L.C., a U.S.-headquartered nutrition business, will take over ownership.
- Perdue announced it would buy Natural Food Holdings and Niman Ranch brand. The pending acquisition continues Perdue’s commitment to premium proteins raised without antibiotics. The transaction involves LNK Partners, a private equity firm.
- Devenish Nutrition and Nest Egg Nutrition merged. The merger represents Devenish Nutrition’s growth in the layer market.
- Topigs Norsvin Canada acquired Signature Genes. The acquisition gives Topigs Norsvin Canada two Duroc lines to offer its customers.
- Cargill announced it would sell its Schweigert brand to Bakalars Sausage. The deal, expected to be completed in October, includes hot dogs, natural casing dogs, braunschweiger, summer sausage and breaded chicken products.
- Post Holdings said it would purchase Willamette Egg Farms. Once transaction is finalized, company intends to combine Michael Foods and Willamette Egg businesses.
- JBS completed its purchase of Moy Park. JBS will pay Marfrig US$1.2 billion for Moy Park and will assume European poultry company's debt.
The transaction in which J.D. Heiskell Holdings LLC and AMERRA Capital Management LLC each acquired minority interests in Norbest LLC has been completed. The remaining equity of Norbest LLC will continue to be owned by the 37 turkey growers who previously owned Moroni Feed Company.
BlueWave Marine Ingredients, maker of ultra-low molecular weight fish peptides for human and animal nutrition, has sold a majority stake of its shares to 3D Corporate Solutions L.L.C., a U.S.-headquartered nutrition business.
Perdue is purchasing Natural Food Holdings, including its well-known Niman Ranch brand from LNK Partners, a private equity firm, the two companies announced on September 8. The financial details of the pending acquisition, which is expected to close soon, have not been disclosed.
Devenish Nutrition LLC has merged with Nest Egg Nutrition LLC, effective September 1.
Topigs Norsvin Canada Inc. has purchased the swine genetics and business operations of Signature Genes of Ste. Anne, Manitoba.
Bakalars Sausage Company has entered into an agreement to acquire the Schweigert brand of hot dogs, natural casing dogs, braunschweiger, summer sausage and breaded chicken products from Cargill Turkey & Cooked Meats. The transaction will be completed in October, and terms were not disclosed.
Post Holdings is expanding its presence in the egg industry as the company is acquiring Willamette Egg Farms.
Brazil-based meat and poultry company JBS has finalized the purchase of European poultry company Moy Park for a price of US$1.5 million.