After the news of Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza (HPAI) broke earlier this year, producers throughout the U.S. altered and heightened their on-farm biosecurity measures to prevent outbreaks. HPAI can cause high mortality in commercial poultry flocks and can be transmitted in various ways, often through direct contact between a healthy bird and an infected bird or its secretions and fecal material. It can also be transmitted by humans and equipment that have been in contact with infected material.
The customer supply chain organization at Novus International, quickly responded to all specific requests from customers receiving bulk ALIMET® and SANTOQUIN® deliveries who called for increased biosecurity procedures. Then, they decided to take it a step further and alter their delivery biosecurity procedures.
"We elected to be proactive and let our customers know we were taking steps to help protect their business as we continue to supply them products like ALIMET® to keep them productive," states Rick Kasmarick, executive customer supply chain manager at Novus. "Our drivers were happy to comply with the new policy. If customers request specific procedures above and beyond our revised measures, we will do our best to comply."
The North America Customer Supply Chain organization has further refined delivery protocols this fall, and biosecurity procedures are continuing to be implemented by Novus to prevent the chance of spreading of HPAI or any other disease.
Novus' response to current and future outbreaks is implementation of the following biosecurity procedures:
1. Novus' customer service team will review and accommodate all customer biosecurity procedures to the best of their ability.
2. Truck drivers have been educated and recognize the significance of this disease and will follow the customer's individual biosecurity procedures such as:
- Utilizing truck wash/spray systems at customer locations
- Using disposable booties when requested and provided by customer
- Providing documentation of seal numbers when requested
3. All trucks and trailers will be equipped with sanitation kits including:
- Tek-Trol aerosol spray or equivalent product
- Hand sanitizer
4. All hose tubes and meter box doors must be resealed between deliveries.
5. Prior to re-entering the cab of the truck, drivers will:
- Spray shoes, pants, working jackets and other articles with Tek-Trol aerosol spray
- Apply hand sanitizer