U.S. Poultry & Egg Association (USPOULTRY) recognized five poultry farm winners and two finalists who received the annual Family Farm Environmental Excellence Award at the International Poultry Expo, part of the 2016 International Production & Processing Expo.
The award is given in acknowledgment of exemplary environmental stewardship by family farmers engaged in poultry and egg production.
“The U.S. poultry industry has long been acknowledged as a leader in environmental management, and we depend on the efforts of family farmers to sustainably produce poultry and egg products. These five winners and two finalists embody the finest of these producers,” said Paul Hill, West Liberty Foods, Ellsworth, Iowa, and newly elected USPOULTRY chairman.
Applicants were rated in several categories, including dry litter or liquid manure management, nutrient management planning, community involvement, wildlife enhancement techniques, innovative nutrient management techniques and participation in education or outreach programs. In selecting the national winners and finalists, applications were reviewed and farm visits conducted by a team of environmental professionals from universities, regulatory agencies and state poultry associations.
The winners were chosen from five geographical regions from throughout the United States. They are as follows.
- Midwest Region winner – Wildcat Hill Turkey Farm, California, Missouri, Paul and Sue Alle, nominated by Cargill Turkey Production
- Northeast Region winner – Riverhill Farms, Port Republic, Virginia, Glenn and Sheri Rhodes, nominated by Cargill Turkey Products
- South Central Region winner – Allred Acres, Laurel, Mississippi, Robert and Angela Allred, nominated by Wayne Farms
- Southeast Region winner – Morrison Poultry, Wingo, Kentucky, Tim and Deena Morrison, nominated by Tyson Foods
- Southwest Region winner – GAP Farm, Rogers, Texas, Gregory and Patti Kieffer, nominated by Cargill Turkey Production and the Texas Poultry Federation
There were also two finalists recognized at the award presentation. They are as follows.
- Midwest Region finalist – Varner Farms Inc., Cassville, Missouri, Terrell and Tonya Varner, nominated by Cargill Turkey Production
- Northeast Region finalist – Bethel Bend Farm, Elkton, Virginia, Willis and Krystal Heatwole, nominated by George’s Inc.