Animal feed industry acquisitions are booming
2016 has been a busy year for M&A activity in the sector
2016 started out busy with acquisitions in animal feed, nutrition and related industries, with five deals announced in January alone. So far this year, WATT Global Media has reported on 22 acquisitions in the sector.
The acquiring companies range from large feed producers such as agricultural cooperative ForFarmers to vendors such as testing kit supplier Neogen.
ForFarmers is the largest company in WATT’s Top Feed Companies database to complete an acquisition this year. In July, ForFarmers announced it would acquire VleutenSteijnVoeders B.V., a Netherlands-based swine feed company.
Other Top Feed Companies involved in acquisitions in 2016 include:
- Nutreco, which acquired South American premix and feed additive company Advit, and Micronutrients, a producer of hydroxy-based trace minerals
- Royal De Heus, which announced this month that it would acquire Coops Mengvoeders, a compound feed producer for pigs and cattle
- Royal Agrifirm, which acquired Polish compound feed company Paszmark
- AB Agri, which acquired AgroKorn, a Danish developer and producer of animal nutrition products, premix, milk replacers and alternative proteins
- InVivo, which acquired Popular Feedmill Corp. in the Philippines, Agrindustria in Italy, and Daavision in the Netherlands
2016 acquisitions by Top Feed Companies
|Company||Headquarters location||Actual production x1000 metric tons (2014)||2016 acquisitions||Type of company acquired|
|ForFarmers B.V.||Netherlands||6,490||VleutenSteijnVoeders B.V.||Swine feed|
Premix and feed additive
Hydroxy-based trace minerals
|Royal De Heus||Netherlands||4,600||Coops Mengvoeders||Compound feed for pigs and cattle|
|Royal Agrifirm||Netherlands||4,250||Paszmark||Compound feed|
|AB Agri||United Kingdom||2,227||AgroKorn||Animal nutrition products, premix, milk replacers and alternative proteins|
Popular Feedmill Corp.
Pig, poultry, aquaculture, and pet feed
Animal feed additives
Alltech has been the busiest on the acquisition front, acquiring four companies in the sector this year. InVivo has acquired three; Evonik and Nutreco each have acquired two; and Nuscience, Camlin Fine Sciences, Neogen, Bühler, Chr. Hansen, Pancosma, Pestell Minerals, Royal De Heus, Royal Agrifirm and AB Agri each acquired one.
Find out more about these companies in WATT Global Media’s Top Feed Companies database.