10 ways World Egg Day will be celebrated across globe
October 14 is World Egg Day but in many countries observations will span several days
World Egg Day will be celebrated on October 14, with a wide range of festivals, activities, charitable events and regional campaigns taking place all over the world. All of the activities promote eggs and the benefits of egg consumption.
World Egg Day is celebrated annually on the second Friday of October.
Countries planning World Egg Day activities, according to the International Egg Commission, are:
- Bangladesh – The Bangladesh Animal Agriculture Association (BAAS) will celebrate World Egg Day over two days beginning on October 14 with a rally to promote the goodness of the egg. There will also be approximately 5,000 free boiled eggs distributed, each in an individual box. To promote eggs among the consumers, the BAAS will organize the Egg Fest 2016 -- a new promotion in Bangladesh and will involve leading food companies, hotels and restaurants showing and selling their egg and poultry produce. BAAS will this year be introducing the “BAAS Award for Egg” during the World Egg Day 2016 celebrations.
- The Philippines -- World Egg Day will be observed with an organized charity Family Fun Run event in aid of the fight against stunting and malnutrition. The Philippine Egg Board has arranged the day to allow all age groups and fitness levels to participate in the run taking place on October 16.
- Hungary -- The Hungarian Poultry Product Board is organizing its 15th Egg Symposium in Hungary on World Egg Day, Friday 14th October. The event will be opened by László Végh, President, Hungarian Egg Producers Association and Katalin Süle, county president, National Chamber of Agriculture. The Symposium will include several presentations, one of which will be given by IEC Director General Julian Madeley speaking on “The Global Egg Market: past, present, future – challenges and possibilities.”
- United States -- The American Egg Board has been organizing some media outreach events featuring international egg recipes and have been using social media to create a video series featuring “Adventure Egg,” which explores recipes from around the world. Latina Blogger Network has also been partnered with to share egg-citing egg recipes to help celebrate World Egg Day. It has created a School Recipe Challenge by asking the children to send in their favorite school egg recipes which will then be posted and shared through the Twitter-sphere.
- Italy -- World Egg Day will be observed with some promotional events to celebrate the nutritional power of the egg as one of the highest sources of protein naturally available.
- Canada -- World Egg Day efforts celebrate Egg Farmers of Canada's (EFC) network of partners and champions who help keep communities vibrant and give back by volunteering, fundraising and donating eggs. EFC on October 3 began counting down to World Egg Day by sharing some of the amazing ways egg farmers help more people benefit from the essential protein and nutrients in eggs. To mark the occasion, a very special video is being released to share just how far reaching the impact of the egg can have on those who need it most. EFC is also working with online influencers and bloggers who will take part in the celebration by sharing what they love most about eggs.
- United Kingdom -- World Egg Day is being celebrated under the general theme of ‘Put an Egg On It’ to encourage consumers to experiment with eating eggs in more unusual ways throughout British Egg Week, on World Egg Day and beyond. The hashtag #PutanEggonit has been created to run in conjunction with the campaign and inspire interaction from consumers, caterers, food manufacturers and retailers on social media. There will be a street food event to be held at Hawker House in London to celebrate British Egg Week and World Egg Day. As part of British Egg Week there will also be a series of bloggers showcasing how they interpret the #PutanEggonit theme.
- Argentina -- Camara Argentina de Productores Avicolas (CAPIA) is promoting World Egg Day 2016 October 10-14. To celebrate a newsletter is being circulated to many different television programs, radio stations, magazines and newspapers, explaining all about World Egg Day. CAPIA is also distributing materials to educate consumers on how to cook with eggs and is running for the 10th year, the “Egg Gourmet Week.” CAPIA has also donated more than one million eggs through the national Food Bank scheme.
- Austria – The country is planning many activities to celebrate and engage all in World Egg Day. A press briefing session was held October 4 with invited journalists with the main topics focusing on Austrian egg quality and standards, labeling issues in gastronomy as well as raising of male chicks in organic egg production. There will be several press releases issued in cooperation with partners and also information sent to retailers. There are scheduled ad campaigns in Vienna including press material and flyers along with eggs to be distributed.
- Senegal -- There are World Egg Day celebrations planned linked in with the widespread use of social media. World Egg Day will be featured on its Facebook account. There will also be World Egg Day news shared on some coordinated websites.