Biorigin has announced the publication of the fifth edition of Zilor´s and Biorigin Sustainability Report, with information related to the 2014/2015 and 2015/2016 crops. The report is published in accordance with the international standard established by the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI).
Highlights of the report include:
- Renewable energy: 98% of consumed energy is renewable. 14% reduction in gas emission rate compared to 2014/2015 (scopes 1 and 2 - Biorigin). 6% reduction in energy consumed compared to 2014/2015 (Biorigin).
- Biorigin´s ingredients have neutral carbon emission in their production process and take this sustainable quality of the products to their customers.
- Waste reuse: 99.98% rate of agricultural and industry reuse of all production-generated waste.
- Biodiversity protection: 81.5 ha Restored Forest. More than R$ 6.6 million in environmental protection for initiatives of monitoring, effluents, environmental management, waste treatment and destination.
- R$ 2.6 million invested in healthier and safer work environments.
The topics addressed in this document were defined based on the opinion of several stakeholders, through qualitative and quantitative consultations with representatives of the local community, public sector, regulatory agencies, distributors, suppliers, associations and industry entities, financial institutions, Biorigin customers, and employees.
CEO Antonio José said, “Sustainability to Zilor is defined in aspects that go beyond what everyone knows as the environmental, social and economic triple bottom line concept; it has been our core business, and it has been our vocation and our way of doing business for 70 years. With the sugarcane, we accomplish our social and corporate responsibility mission of producing food and energy that contribute to lessening the effects of climate change and to nourish the ever-growing population.”
Biorigin Director Mario Steinmetz said, “Biorigin has a distinguishing feature for being part of Zilor and its sustainable business environment. As its raw materials are supplied by Zilor itself, Biorigin is one of few companies to ensure the total traceability of the entire production process, from yeast production to the finished product, providing more safety to the customers and partners.”