Top benefits of Greencoat wax-free boxes
At IPPE 2017, Interstate Container highlighted 8 reasons to evolve to Greencoat
During IPPE 2017, Interstate Container highlighted the eight main reasons driving the evolution to wax-free coated poultry packaging. The company is the creator Greencoat wax-free corrugated boxes.
Eight reasons to evolve with Greencoat wax-free boxes
- 100% recyclable and re-pulpable. Traditional wax-coated boxes are unrecyclable and end up in landfills, taking over a century to decompose. FBA-certified Greencoat wax-free boxes significantly reduce environmental impact. Since transitioning entirely to Greencoat wax-free boxes in 2010, Mountaire Farms, a leading U.S. poultry processor, has annually contributed to a carbon savings of 150,000 metric tons of CO2 emissions. This equates to the removal of 31,685 passenger vehicles from the road for one year or 48,000 tons of waste recycled instead of landfilled.
- Customized box aizes. These boxes are not one size fits all. Poultry producers can choose the “right size” packaging that builds strength and reduces waste and costs for customers.
- Proven quality and performance. Greencoat boxes are field-tested and customer approved. Interstate Container has partnered with poultry, meat and seafood producers, as well as Global Green USA, to continuously test Greencoat boxes under long, damp and difficult transport routes across the country. Every month, the company produces and ships over 12 million Greencoat boxes to some of the largest poultry processors in the country.
- As strong as traditional wax boxes. With a powerful combination of eco-friendly impregnation and wax-free coating, Greencoat boxes withstand the challenges of the cold-storage supply chain, enduring tremendous exposure to moisture, rough handling, and long storage.
- Meeting sustainability guidelines. With retailers increasingly mandating a shift to recyclable packaging, using Greencoat boxes will improve poultry processors’ Sustainability Scorecards, while fulfilling key customer packaging requirements.
- Award-winning packaging. Interstate Container was recognized as a 2016 Champion of Maryland Manufacturing for developing the innovative wax-free Greencoat product line. The manufacturer also received the first Pioneer Award from the Global Green Coalition for Resource Recovery, a non-profit addressing some of the world’s most pressing environmental challenges. Mountaire Farms additionally recognized the company with a coveted Supplier Appreciation Award.
- 100% in-house process. Unlike competitors, the company manufactures and coats boxes at its two state-of-the-art Greencoat production facilities in Cambridge, Md., and Columbia, S.C., rather than outsourcing coating. Reducing unnecessary additional costs from third party services and ensuring full control of the production process from start to finish maximizes efficiency and ability to ensure high quality.
- Satisfied customers. Interstate Container works together with poultry processors to transition, phase by phase, to wax-free Greencoat boxes. These boxes eliminate wax disposal costs, create revenue streams for retailers, reduce poultry processor carbon footprint, and offer strength, durability and water resistance to maintain integrity in harsh shipping conditions.