The Animal Agriculture Alliance, an industry-united nonprofit organization working to bridge the communication gap between farm and fork, is proud to be celebrating its 30th anniversary in 2017. The Alliance released a short video highlighting its accomplishments: http://bit.ly/2ksiETQ.
The Alliance was launched in 1987 to serve as a unified voice on behalf of animal agriculture. Over the past three decades, the Alliance has helped the industry to anticipate and respond to campaigns from anti-animal agriculture groups across the U.S. and engage with a public that is increasingly disconnected from production agriculture. Many things have changed since the Alliance was founded–household adoption of the Internet and the emergence of social media for example–but the organization’s passion and commitment to securing the future of animal agriculture remains steadfast.
Since the Alliance was founded…
- Its membership has grown from fewer than ten founding organizations to nearly 300 current members, sponsors and donors. Two members–the American Feed Industry Association and American Farm Bureau Federation–have been part of the Alliance for all 30 years.
- It went from not having a website to maintaining a presence on six social media platforms reaching over half a million people weekly.
- The annual Stakeholders Summit developed from a gathering of 100 industry professionals in 2002 to a can’t-miss event in animal agriculture, attracting a record 250 attendees in 2016.
“The Alliance has grown not only in numbers of members and staff but also in its understanding of strategies used by activists and its own tactics to ensure agriculture’s voice is a key part of the conversations,” said Kay Johnson Smith, Alliance president and CEO. “We have become more adept at identifying threats, developing proactive responses and coordinating diverse interests to provide a strong, unified voice for agriculture.”
The Alliance will be celebrating its diamond anniversary throughout the year. The organization invites others to help commemorate the achievement by taking part in the following activities:
- Social media: On Instagram and Twitter, follow the hashtag #AllianceTurns30 for weekly looks at Alliance history–you are invited to share your own memories using the tag. Alliance members will also be taking over the organization’s Snapchat account (username: animalag) and longtime members will be highlighted on social media throughout the year.
- Editorial content: The Alliance recently published a blog post chronicling its first three decades. Companies, organizations and media outlets are invited to use all or portions of the blog in any publications: https://animalagengage
- Membership Drive: The Alliance is holding a membership drive during the month of March to bring on 30 new members in celebration of its 30th anniversary. Members who join as part of the 30 for 30th drive will receive recognition at the 2017 Stakeholders Summit, in addition to the benefits of Alliance membership. Membership begins at $500. Interested individuals and companies can learn more at www.animalagalliance.org/join.
- 2017 Summit: The milestone will be celebrated at the 2017 Stakeholders Summit, set for May 3-4, 2017 in Kansas City, Mo. The Alliance hopes to mark its 30th year by hosting the biggest and best Summit yet. Register today to be a part of the occasion: www.animalagalliance.org/summit