Poultry Science Association names Fellows, other honorees
Poultry professionals will be honored at upcoming annual meeting
The Poultry Science Association (PSA) released a list of the recipients of its annual awards and other honors for members working in poultry science and related disciplines. All award winners will be formally honored on July 20 at PSA's awards celebration during its 106th annual meeting, which will be held July 17-20 at the Orlando World Center Marriott in Orlando, Florida.
“Professional recognition is a hallmark of the Poultry Science Association,” PSA President Randolph D. Mitchell said. “PSA congratulates all of the winners of the 2017 awards. These awards recognize professional excellence in the advancement of poultry science and contributions to the larger poultry community. We are grateful to the nominators for taking their time to recognize their colleagues and the Awards Committees that had to make the often difficult choice of selecting one winner from a pool of excellent nominees.”
New PSA Fellows
PSA Fellow is the highest recognition PSA can bestow on a member. An individual is named a PSA Fellow for their professional distinction and contributions to the field of poultry science and the Association without regard to longevity. This year four PSA members were selected. They are:
- Walter G. Bottje (University of Arkansas)
- Steven C. Ricke (University of Arkansas)
- Yvonne Vizzier-Thaxton (University of Arkansas)
- Michael J. Wineland (North Carolina State University)
Additional PSA honors and award winners
This year PSA will honor over 30 individuals for their accomplishments and contribution to poultry science. PSA awards professional members for their excellence in areas such as research, teaching, and extension. In addition, PSA recognizes student members for their research and extends travel grants to help students attend the PSA annual meeting.
- American Egg Board Research Award – Deana R. Jones (USDA-ARS)
- American Feed Industry Association Poultry Nutrition Research Award – Markus Rodehutschord (University of Hohenheim)
- Evonik Corporation Award for Achievement in Poultry Science – Kumar Venkitanarayanan (University of Connecticut)
- Maple Leaf Farms Duck Research Award – Keying Zhang (Sichuan Agricultural University)
- National Chicken Council Broiler Research Award – Jason T. Lee (Texas A&M University)
- Novus International Teaching Award – Gregoy Y. Bedecarrats (University of Guelph)
- Phibro Extension Award – F. Dustan Clark (University of Arkansas)
- PSA Early Achievement Award for Extension – Karen D. Christensen (University of Arkansas)
- PSA Early Achievement Award for Industry – Malea G. Frank (Tyson Foods, Inc.)
- PSA Student Recruitment Award – University of Georgia Poultry Science Dept. (University of Georgia
- Tyson Foods Inc. Support Personnel Award – Dawn A. Abbott (University of Saskatchewan)
- USPOULTRY Distinguished Poultry Industry Career Award – Paul B. Tillman (Poultry Technical Nutrition Services, LLC)
- Zoetis Fundamental Science Award – Michael H. Kogut (USDA-ARS)
- Alltech Student Research Manuscript Award – Matthew Aardsma (Purdue University)
- Maurice Stein Fellowship Award -- Pratima Adhikari (University of Georgia)
- Biomin Latin American Graduate Student Travel Awards – Gabriela Cardoso Dal Pont (Federal University of Paraná), Ingrid Yolani Martinez Rojas (National Autonomous University of Mexico)
- Jones-Hamilton Co. Undergraduate Student Travel Award – Heloisa Lais Fialkowski Bordignon (Federal University of Paraná), Leesa Bushart (Texas A&M University), Silvana de Castro Caldas (Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul), Gabrielle House (Purdue University), Aidan McNeil (University of Saskatchewan), Victoria Polentz (Ohio State University), Avery E. Smith (Auburn University), Halei Williams (Texas A&M University)
- PSA Graduate Student Travel Award – Pratima Acharya Adhikari (University of Georgia), Sheila Hadinia (University of Alberta), Haley Leung (University of Guelph), Sami Samiullah (University of New England), Revathi Shanmugasundaram (Ohio State University), Amit Kumar Singh (University of Hawaii), Samiru Sudharaka Wickramasuriya (Chungham National University), Kimberly M. Wilson (Ohio State University)
Additional awards to be announced
Winners of the Aviagen Turkeys Communications Award, Student Research Certificates of Excellence, and Student Research Certificates of Participation will be announced at the awards celebration. Student Research Certificates of Excellence are presented in recognition of students who have presented high-quality research papers at the annual meeting. Student Research Certificates of Participation are presented to undergraduate students who present research papers at the annual meeting.
Aviagen Turkeys presents an award to a maximum of two graduate student Certificate of Excellence winners at the annual PSA meeting whose oral paper was given with the turkey as the principal unit of research. The award serves to increase awareness of the opportunities available to students who choose to do research with turkeys.