U.S. Poultry & Egg Association (USPOULTRY) recognized five poultry farms that were nominated for the annual Family Farm Environmental Excellence award at the International Poultry Expo, part of the 2022 International Production & Processing Expo. The award is given annually to recognize exemplary environmental stewardship by family farmers engaged in poultry and egg production.
“It is a privilege to recognize these five family farms for the excellent job they do in being good stewards of their land. Our industry could not continue to function and thrive without taking proper care of our natural resources. These five winners are to be commended for their efforts,” remarked Greg Hinton, vice president of sales at Rose Acre Farms, and outgoing USPOULTRY chairman.
Applicants were rated in several categories, including litter management, nutrient management planning, community involvement, wildlife enhancement techniques, innovative nutrient management techniques and participation in education or outreach programs. In selecting the national winners and finalists, applications were reviewed and farm visits conducted by a team of environmental professionals from universities, regulatory agencies and poultry associations.
The winners were chosen from five geographical regions throughout the United States and included a State Poultry Association nomination. The winners are as follows:
State Poultry Association Nomination winner
- Green Ridge Family Farm, Weldon, Iowa
- Arlyn Kauffman, nominated by the Iowa Poultry Association
Mid-Atlantic region winner
- Wolfepack Farm, Harrisonburg, Va.
- Tim and Kathleen Wolfe, nominated by Cargill
South Central region winner
- Dalen Bell Farm, Tuscumbia, Mo.
- Dalen Bell, nominated by Cargill
Southeast region winner
- Infinity Ranch, Lamar, Ark.
- Theron Rowbotham, nominated by Butterball, LLC
Southwest region winner
- Urbanovsky Farms, Caldwell, Texas
- Donald and Danielle Urbanovsky, nominated by Sanderson Farms
There were also five finalists nominated. They are as follows:
State Poultry Association Nomination finalist
- Triple Cross Farms, Mayfield, Ky.
- Clint and Kelly Harris, nominated by the Kentucky Poultry Federation
Mid-Atlantic region finalist
- Cane Creek Farms, Clinton, N.C.
- Tyler and Janna Bass, nominated by Sanderson Farms
South Central Region finalist
- Gabel Farm, Galena, Mo.
- Norbet and Susan Gabel, nominated by Cargill
Southeast region finalist
- A.B. Simmons Poultry, Purvis, Miss.
- Seth Simmons, nominated by Sanderson Farms
Southwest region finalist
- KD Farm, Stillwell, Okla.
- Kevin and Kim Doyle, nominated by Cargill