In August, the Department of Poultry Science hosted its annual scholarship golf tournament, which raised over $18,000 for the department's scholarship fund.
The golf tournament was held at Stonebridge Meadows in Fayetteville, where 40 teams competed in morning and afternoon flights. The golf tournament also featured competitions for each flight, including a putting contest, longest drive contest and a closest to the pin contest.
The results were as follows:
- First-place team sponsored by Marel: Brian Shamblin (Marel), Lance Logsdon (Simmons), Kyle Niemann (Simmons) and Jesse Roe (Simmons)
- Second-place team sponsored by Merck Animal Health: Kevin Aday (Wayne Farms), Steve Dixon (Dixon Poultry), Lee Moore (Merck Animal Health) and Bob Rochelle (Merck Animal Health)
- Putting Contest Winner: Roger Dodson (Zoetis)
- Long Drive Contest Winner: Cole Miesner (OK Foods)
- Closest to the Pin Contest Winner: Greg Ash (Tyson)
- First-place team sponsored by DSM Nutritional Products: Sean Holcombe, Cliff Kirchner, Kyle Mycka and Sam Rainwater
- Second-place team sponsored by Arm & Hammer and L.B. White: Bill Bailey (Arm & Hammer), Shannon Burasco (Arm & Hammer) and Chad Owens (L.B. White)
- Putting Contest Winner: Lance Weaver (Citizens Bank)
- Long Drive Contest Winner: Sam Rainwater (DSM Nutritional Products)
- Closest to the Pin Contest Winner: Rusty Bowsher (3D Corporate Solutions)
The event also had over 45 sponsors including:
Flight Sponsor: Cobb-Vantress
Hole Sponsors: Big Dutchman, Cargill, D&F Equipment Sales Inc., FPEC CORP and Huvepharma
Bunker Sponsors: Benton County Foods and Evonik
Team Sponsors: Aviagen, Chore-time, Citizens Bank, C.R. Crawford Construction, Crow Group, DSM Nutritional Products, Elanco, First Financial Bank, Harness Roofing and Waterproofing Inc., Hubbard Breeders, Hydrite Chemical, Jamesway Chick Master Inc., Liphatech, Lubing Systems, Marel, Merck Animal Health, Reliable Poultry, Simmons Foods, Space Ray and Zoetis.
Goody Bag/Prize Sponsors: Ancera, Arkansas Farm Bureau Federation, Arm & Hammer, Aviagen, Big Dutchman, Boehringer Ingelheim, Cargill, Cobb-Vantress, D&F Equipment Sales Inc., Harness Roofing and Waterproofing Inc., Marel, Merck Animal Health, Zoetis and Space Ray.
David Caldwell, Center of Excellence for Poultry Science director and Poultry Science Department head, said the support was greatly appreciated.
"This was the first time we have been able to hold this tournament in three years," Caldwell said. "The level of support received from our stakeholders was tremendous. Based upon records of past events, this was the greatest level of participation we have ever had for this tournament."
The funds will go toward Poultry Science Department scholarships that will help students cover the cost of education.
"Adding over $18,000 to our general scholarship fund gives the department enhanced capacity to support students who are here to receive an education and training for employment in the commercial industry," Caldwell said. "We had a great day, and we are already looking forward to next year. We cannot thank the golfers and sponsors enough for their support."