Ammonia leak at Alabama chicken plant sends 130 people to ER
200 to 300 gallons of ammonia released
Between 200 and 300 gallons of ammonia were released when a tank leaked at an Alabama chicken refrigeration plant.
At least 130 people had ammonia poisoning symptoms severe enough to be sent to the emergency room as a result of the leak; others affected were provided with first aid at a nearby gas station. Millard Refrigerated Services, the site of the leak, handles up to 2.5 million pounds of chicken each day. Officials do not yet know the cause of the leak, but said the company will likely face fines from both OSHA and the Environmental Protection Agency.