Poultry certified wholesome during March 2011 totaled 3.86 billion pounds, up 4% from the amount certified in March 2010, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture's latest report.

The preliminary total live weight of all federally inspected poultry during March 2011 was 5.11 billion pounds, up 4% from 4.92 billion pounds in 2010. Young chickens inspected totaled 4.39 billion pounds, up 4% from March 2010. Mature chickens, at 72.9 million pounds, were up 5% from the previous year, while turkey inspections totaled 631 million pounds, up 3% from the same time in 2010. Ducks totaled 14.7 million pounds, up 8% from 2010.

Advertisement

Young chickens slaughtered during March 2011 averaged 5.75 pounds per bird, up 2% from March 2010. The average live weight of mature chickens was 5.62 pounds per bird, up 3% from a year ago. Turkeys slaughtered during March 2011 averaged 29.8 pounds per bird, up 1% from March 2010.