Argentina’s Capia, the Egg Producer’s Association, proudly announced a few days ago that the country has gone up in the ranking of countries with the largest egg consumption in the world. With 314 eggs per capita, Argentina stands in fourth place, after Mexico with 409 eggs (data from UNA, the Mexican Poultry Producers Association), Japan with 337 (according to several estimates) and Colombia with 315 eggs (as per data from the National Federation of Poultry Producers, Fenavi).

Take a look at it! Three out of four countries are Latin American nations. In addition to being at the top, it also points to the great efforts the local associations have done in each country, together with the efforts of the Latin American Egg Institute (Instituto Latinoamericano del Huevo, ILH), headed by Capia’s CEO, Javier Prida. All three have continuous egg consumption campaigns, and the ILH does its part at regional level.

Argentinian production also increased. The layer population is made up of 51.62 million birds, with an 8.46% growth compared to 2021. Last year, 15.3 billion eggs were produced – 14.6 billion were internally consumed – 96.8% of total production – while the remaining 3.2% went to exports (that incidentally grew by 17% in 2022).

To provide readers with some extra numbers, in 2021 Mexico had 172 million layers in production and Colombia 45 million layers. Brazil has 115 million layers, but its per capita consumption is “lower,” with 257 eggs.

Additionally, the industry is contributing to the nutrition of a rather poor population, needless to say, with an excellent source of protein and other nutrients. In a way, the COVID-19 pandemic did have a positive impact on consumption, but high commodities’ prices have also had a negative impact. Consumption has grown and eggs are still the cheapest animal protein. Versatile, handy and easy to use, Latin Americans have leveraged its use.

It seems to me that egg production can be the way to go if a good animal protein is to be provided to the population. Egg producers are less “chic” than broiler producers. But they are certainly good providers.

The World Egg Day is still 10 months away, but I must praise egg producers for their mission and results. Let’s hope for a low impact of avian flu in 2023.

What do you think?