Advertisement

Information on global poultry, pig and animal feed markets.
Poultry Processing & Slaughter / North America / Industry News & Trends
on September 21, 2017

Worker electrocuted at Butterball turkey plant

Accident occurs when many is performing maintenance duties at facility in Mount Olive, North Carolina

From WATTAgNet:

A worker at the Butterball turkey plant in Mount Olive, North Carolina, died from electrocution on September 19.

According to a spokesperson from the North Carolina Occupational Safety & Health Division, the worker, identified as Robert McCullen, 28, was replacing a light above a drop ceiling when the accident occurred. He was transported to a nearby hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

In a statement issued to WFMY News, Butterball expressed its condolences to McCullen’s family and friends, and stated that it is offering grief counseling and support for co-workers through its Employee Assistance Program.

The company is conducting an internal investigation and is working closely with authorities, according to the statement.

Prior to the accident, Butterball had a strong record of worker safety at the Mount Olive plant. In April 2015, the company revealed that it had completed 3 million hours without a lost-time injury at the facility. That same month, the plant was one of 135 meat and poultry plants recognized by the North American Meat Institute (NAMI) for worker safety performance and one of 36 plants to receive the Award of Honor in Worker Safety, the highest award offered for worker safety by the organization.

That same facility was one of seven Butterball plants to receive the Award of Distinction during the 2016 National Safety Conference for the Poultry Industry.


Man Electrocuted at NC Butterball Plant

MOUNT OLIVE, N.C.--A worker at the Mount Olive Butterball plant was electrocuted Tuesday afternoon, according to Jason Tyson, communications officer with the North Carolina Occupational Safety & Health Division (OSH). The incident occurred around 2 p.m. at the plant on Garner Chapel Road when a maintenance worker, identified as 28-year-old Robert McCullen, was “replacing a light above a drop ceiling.

Read More at Wfmynews2

Safety officials investigate electrocution in Mount Olive Butterball plant

The N.C. Department of Labor's Occupational Safety and Health Division is investigating an electrocution at the Butterball plant in Mount Olive.It happened on Tuesday evening while an employee was trying to replace a light in the ceiling.Officials said the man died by electric shock.An investigation into his death could take up to three to four months for the Occupational Safety and Health Division to complete.

Read More at abc11.com

Comments powered by Disqus