According to a news release from the agency, investigations took place at the plant after learning that two workers were injured there. The incidents under investigation included one worker suffering a laceration to his right finger after his glove got caught in a conveyor, and another worker breaking two fingers after her hand contacted a rotating shaft in an attempt to unjam gizzards inside a chiller.
Among the citations against Koch Foods are:
- Failure to ensure proper procedures were followed to prevent machinery from starting-up during maintenance or servicing.
- Failure to protect employees from falls up to 18 feet.
- Not providing machine guarding on equipment.
- Not providing standard railings on stairways.
- Failure to protect workers from electric shock due to corrosive chemicals leaking on outlets.
Koch Foods, the fifth largest broiler company in the United States, faces $88,632 in proposed fines in connection to the citation. The company has 15 business days to comply or contest the citations.