Following the success of its "Meet the Processor" and "Meet the Exporter" events, the UK's Home Grown Cereals Authority (HGCA) is encouraging growers to join them at one of 14 events already planned for spring 2014.
This year's initiative, which is open to participation from all processors, includes visits to three millers, a feed mill, three maltsters and seven exporter sites.
"The overriding aim of the events is to encourage open dialogue and better understanding between growers, processors and exporters," explained Roz Reynolds, HGCA's head of marketing. "At our previous events, the conversations between the hosts and growers have established a greater trust in the supply chain."
Jonathan Tipples, HGCA chairman added: "This will be the third year HGCA has run the events, and as word has spread, more processors and exporters have come forward to take part, offering up their senior staff to meet growers and explain how their operations work."
"These events enable growers to gain a better understanding of why certain technical specifications have to be met - and also how processors manage in years like 2012 when grain quality was relatively poor."
This year, the initiative offers the chance to see modern milling machinery, cereal and seed laboratories, test bakeries, export depots and maltings in action.
To book, visit HGCA's website or contact HGCA's events.
Please note that, due to limited places, the events are for cereals growers only. Places are also on a first come, first served basis, and attendance is at the discretion of individual hosts.
Meet the Processor and Meet the Exporter dates 2014:
- March 18 - EB Bradshaw & Sons Ltd., Driffield, East Yorkshire
- March 20 - FWP Matthews, Chipping Norton, Oxon
- April 29 - Whitworth Bros Ltd., Wellingborough, Northants
- March 13 - Boortmalt, Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk
- April 3 - Molson Coors, Burton-on-Trent, Staffordshire
- April 10 - Warminster Maltings, Warminster, Wiltshire
- April 8 - Crediton Milling, Devon
- April 30 - Fengrain & Openfield, Kings Lynn, Norfolk
- May 6 - Frontier, Southampton, Hampshire
- May 8 - Glencore Grain, Tilbury, Essex
- May 12 - Openfield, Portbury, Avon
- May 14 - Nidera, Ipswich, Suffolk
- May 15 - Bartholomews, Shoreham, West Sussex
- May 20 - Wessex Grain, Poole, Dorset