Top six egg-producing states announced
Iowa leads list in hen complements.
The top six egg-producing states in the U.S. have a total of 157 million hens. This represents 56.7% of the average U.S. hen population of 276.9 million for the first six months of 2009.
Hen complements in each state and the percentage of U.S. population are as follows:
- Iowa, 52.8 million hens, 19.1%
- Ohio, 26.7 million hens, 9.6%
- Indiana, 23.2 million hens, 8.4%
- Pennsylvania, 21.4 million hens, 7.7%
- California, 19.4 million hens, 7%
- Texas, 13.5 million hens, 4.9%