Where did World Poultry Day go in Latin America?

The 10th World Poultry Day – established by the International Poultry Council (IPC) in 2012 − came and went almost unnoticed this last May 10, 2022 in Latin America (and maybe elsewhere).

Ruiz B 90x90 Headshot
(Andrea Gantz)
(Andrea Gantz)

The 10th World Poultry Day – established by the International Poultry Council (IPC) in 2012 − came and went almost unnoticed this last May 10, 2022 in Latin America (and maybe elsewhere). I actually knew about it, because the Brazilian Association of Animal Protein (ABPA) did publish a press release.

I think Brazil has reasons to celebrate. The ABPA just released their annual report which states that per capita chicken consumption in their country was 45 kg in 2021 and produced more than 14 million MT of chicken meat. The largest part – almost 70% − goes to the domestic market. The remaining 30% is sent all over the world – somewhat less than 5 million MT.

Yes, there are other Latin American countries with high chicken consumption rates: Peru, Panama or Colombia. But it seems that no one paid attention to World Poultry Day, with the exception of Brazil. And this certainly contrasts with World Egg Day – established in 1996 by the International Egg Commission (IEC) – because every year most countries carry out celebrations on the second Friday of October, which include all kinds of activities: cooking contests, presentations for the general public and targeted audiences such as physicians, ads, art exhibitions, etc.

If we realize that chicken is the most consumed meat in the world, why are we not celebrating it?

Mr. Robin Horel, president of the IPC, said last year about World Poultry Day: “Delivering sustainability, animal welfare, addressing antimicrobial resistance, protecting animal health and wellbeing and increasing consumer trust are some of the core values embraced by the global poultry meat sector.” Well said.

And then: “On World Poultry Day we celebrate our animals and the people who look after them every step of the way. Farmers, nutritionists, technicians, veterinarians, employees, operators and transporters, who are passionate about leaving no stone unturned in delivering safe, affordable and nutritious food to people across different cultures and nationalities.”

So, don’t we have plenty to celebrate and let the general public know about?

What do you think?

Page 1 of 105
Next Page